Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hart Wants England Captaincy

After John Terry was stripped of the England captaincy last month which consequently lead to the resignaiton of manager Fabio Capello, the nation is anticipating who interim manager Stuart Pearce will name as captain when he chooses his team to face Holland tomorrow evening.

Steven Gerrard is the stanjames favourite to be names skipper but Joe Hart is also a popular bwin free bet, and Hart is certainly up for the challenge and responsibility of leading his country to the European championships.


Hart is aware that there are some big candidates for the role and that he would love to lead his country.
"I think I can speak for everyone in this room who is English and likes football that to captain your country would be amazing and a great honour," said Hart.

"But it's a long way off happening for myself. There are some big candidates and big names and a lot of caps to be put on the table. Whatever happens, happens.

"As long as I'm playing, whether it's with an armband on or not I don't care, I just want to play."
Asked whether a goalkeeper could effectively skipper a side, Hart replied: "To be a goalkeeper and captain your country, I can only look at Iker Casillas and it is definitely possible."
 
Hart had firmly established himself as Fabio Capello's clear No.1 keeper, but insists he never assumed the role was his for keeps, even before the change in management.

"I have felt that (the need to prove himself) every time I've turned up at the squad, there are always three quality keepers who are doing well at their club sides," added Hart.
"(But) Mr Capello played me a lot and I want that to continue."

I wouldn't be too much of a surprise to see Hart get the nod. He is a young player who looks like he will be in the England set up for another 10-15 years and so it would give England a sense of stability that they have perhaps lacked in recent years.

He certainly has the belief and commitment in taking up such role!

No comments: