Monday, February 20, 2012

Barry Robson move a "no-brainer"


New signing Barry Robson has moved to reassure Vancouver Whitecaps fans he has not moved to MLS for a cosy end-of-career wind down.

The franchise announced this week they had brought in the former Rangers favourite as a Designated Player and Robson says he cannot wait to get going across the Atlantic and try and transform the Whitecaps into one of the MSL's major soccer betting tips.

"The league is rising and it's getting better all the time," Robson told reporters.

"I can see some good players coming over now, and it's something that's been in my mind for a while. As soon as I got the offer from [Vancouver], it was a no-brainer for me."

The 33-year-old revealed he had turned down the option to extend his stay in the second tier of English football with Premier League hopefuls Middlesbrough, as well as a number of other clubs, because once he "heard something might happen with Vancouver, it was always my first choice".

The three-time Scottish Premier League winner, who knows Vancouver's assistant coach Paul Ritchie from their time together at Dundee United, chipped in with six goals in the Championship this season and said he was keen to hit the ground running with his new club - something which will delight those looking to bet on soccer games.

"I've still got a lot of hunger and fitness still in me, and I don't envisage myself stopping playing soon," Robson said. "I didn't want to come over there and not be able to contribute, so fitness-wise I’m as good as I've ever been.

"I want to come over here and try and make a difference for Vancouver and show everybody that I'm a good player, I can help my teammates, and I can try to help the club get up the league as far as they can."

Martin Rennie's British Columbia outfit begin their Western Conference campaign against Montreal Impact a BC Place Stadium on March 10

No comments: